XDA Developers member open1your1eyes0 has launched a guide for Samsung Galaxy S III SCH-I535. This guide is applicable only on the Verizon variant. This guide provides instruction on how to root, unlock the bootloader and flash the custom recovery. While using this package, you can decide to perform one function or all three. The option of choosing between TWRP and ClockworkMod custom recovery is also available. All of this will allow you to install the latest custom ROMs for the variant.
- The guidelines being provided are specifically for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III SCH-I535. Use on any other device or model may result in unwanted circumstances.
- In case something goes wrong with the device while following the instructions, then no other individual except the owner of the device will be responsible.
- Make sure you’re using a Windows PC
- The provided guidelines are only for giving information and to help in the learning. The instructions may not hold true depending on the uniqueness of your situation.
- Charge your device to full battery or 50% at the least. Any less battery may finish off during the procedure interrupting the download. Make sure you make a cloud app backup as well.
- Install USB drivers for your handset.
Tutorial 1 (flashing the factory image)
- Download the factory image file and Odin 3.07.
- Extract the Odin ‘.zip’ file to any folder on the computer.
- Switch off the device. Next, you have to boot your device in Odin or Download Mode. In order to do this just simply press down and hold the keys (Volume Down, Power and Home) until a disclaimer pops up.
- From there, make sure ‘Auto Reboot’ and ‘F. Reset Time’ are checked only.
- Next step is clicking on the PDA button. After doing this, from the list of files, locate the stock VRBLJ1 factory image. Selecting it will load it onto the PDA slot. Make sure the “Re-partition” option is unchecked.
- Using a USB cable, connect your Verizon S3 to your computer. When the connection has been made, a blue light will appear on the ID:COM section.
- Then choose the Start option in Odin to initiate the flashing process.
- When the flashing is complete, the device automatically reboots. After this reboot, the device will run on Jelly Bean. No data will have been lost during this procedure.
Tutorial 2 (root/unlock bootloader or both)
- Download unlock bootloader and SuperSU + unlockbootloader file.
- Copy the correct file depending on what you want to do onto your Galaxy S3’s SD card.
- Now switch off your Galaxy S3, and turn it on in the TWRP or ClockworkMod Recovery Mode. Just simply press down the Power, Home and Volume Up keys altogether and continue doing so till the screen turns bright
- If you’re not using touch CWM recovery, move through the menu by using the Volume Up and Volume Down button. For selecting any option, press Power.
- Go for ‘Install ZIP from SD Card’ > ‘Choose ZIP from SD Card’ and then select the required ZIP file. Now press ‘Yes’.
- Return to the main menu, and choose ‘Reboot system now’.
Tutorial 3 (flashing custom recovery)
- Download CWM recovery and TWRP recovery files.
- Boot your Galaxy S III in the Odin or Downloading Mode following the same steps as mentioned in tutorial 1.
- Initiate Odin. On the screen that follows, make sure that only two options are selected, one is the
‘Auto Reboot’ and the second is the ‘F. Reset Time’ option.
- On the next screen, choose the PDA button. Locate the following file as per your choice (TWRP or ClockworkMod) which you downloaded in step 1.
- With the help of a USB cable, connect the device and the computer. When the phone has been detected by the computer, the ID:COM portion will change into blue color.
- Select the Start button in Odin for the flashing to begin.
- Once the process is complete, the device will automatically restart with custom recovery installed.
Your Samsung Galaxy S III SCH-I535 Verizon now has custom recovery, an unlocked bootloader and root access. Enjoy! (Source: XDA)