As before, the locked bootloader of Droid RAZR HD XT926 is a problem for developers and users alike. For a few lucky ones who were able to get their hands on the developer edition of the device, they get to have custom ROMs as per their wishes. When we are talking about custom ROMs, the most important element in this is that of a custom recovery. An XDA developer member GoClifGo05 has released TWRP Recovery for the handset.
Using this recovery, it is possible to install custom options like ROMs, kernels, themes and similar items. You can also make a NANDroid backup, wipe your cache and make necessary flash modifications.
The procedure is specifically for the Developer’s Edition of Motorola Droid RAZR HD (XT926). Do not try it on any other device since the results may not be the same. Try the instructions out at your own risk since we wouldn’t be responsible for any malfunction. Read the steps twice before carrying them out. Do remember to guard your important data like contacts and settings. Make sure that your battery level appropriate when you begin the process. Lesser levels can result in a lot of inconvenience.
Your Motorola Droid RAZR HD should have root access (use this guide) and unlock bootloader (visit Motorla’s website). In addition to this, you should also have a PC with Windows with USB drivers installed for the hnadset. On your device, enable USB debugging. Disable antivirus, firewall or similar software that can hinder the installation process.
- Download Fastboot zip, TWRP recovery and ES File Explorer.
- First of all, you have to stop your device from restoring the stock recovery. For this launch ES File Explorer and go to Settings. From there, go to Root Settings and enable Root Explorer. Confirm the action and then select Allow/Grant for root access to the app. After that, check Up to Root and Mount File System to enable them. Now proceed to /system/etc folder and rename Recovery.SH to any other name.
- Unzip Fastboot.zip on your PC and find the folder Fastboot.
- Now copy the image file of the custom recovery to this folder.
- Switch your phone off.
- Restart into Boot Mode selection. (How? Hold the Volume up/down and Power keys together).
- You can scroll the menu through Volume keys and find Fastboot. Select it using the Power key.
- Connect the device to the PC with a USB cable
- Launch command prompt and go to Fastboot folder using it.
- 1In the command prompt, you can enter Fastboot devices (with your keyboard) to check whether the drivers were installed or not. This is confirmed if you see a device ID comes up.
- To flash the recovery file, enter: fastboot flash recovery twrp-recovery-vanquish.img.
- Restart your phone by: fastboot reboot-bootloader.
- When your device restarts, it would be in bootloader mode. Now you can select Recovery in order to access the one that you just installed.
Enjoy the new TWRP recovery on your Motorola RAZR HD XT926 Developers Edition! (via)